Software and Modeling Tools
Software and Modeling Tools
Today’s high-speed communication devices and highly-integratedelectronics are omni-present in every-day life. The design and development of antennas, electronic and optical components and (sub)systems have come to rely heavily on modeling tools and corresponding simulation software. Within the Antennas and Propagation community, simulation and modeling tools mainly concern electromagnetic phenomena, yet an increased interest is also observed towards multi-physics aspects, such as thermal and mechanical. Therefore, electromagnetic and multi-physics simulation and modeling software has become one of the cornerstones in the community.
Many software tools are nowadays available, both commercial and freeware, yet the capabilities of these tools vary significantly in terms of suitability for certain applications and complexity of the simulation problem that can be handled. The Working Group on Software and Modeling offers the community of antenna and wireless engineers a unifying platform for information and discussion on the use of such simulation software.
The Main Mission
Organize Community Activities
The main mission of the EurAAP Working Group on Software and Modeling Tools is to create a
platform to share
topics of electromagnetic
simulation software and modeling, with an extension to multi-physics problems that are relevant to the Antennas and Propagation community. The Working Group further aims at gathering information of software and modeling and present the relevant information systematically and objectively to serve the
Antennas and Propagation community
in this area. In this way it provides a bridge between users and developers of simulation tools. Additionally, the Working Group aims to identify new developments and opportunities in the area of simulation methods and to actively stimulate discussions on these matters in the community.
More specifically the goals are:
· To monitor and follow-up new developments in the antennas and propagation software community, including modelling of antennas of complex platforms, antenna design considering other components of the RF chain
· To continuously update the inventory of software tools,
· To organize benchmarking cycles for antennas and propagation software, linked to the convened sessions at the EuCAP conference, in particular to reduce the gap between simulation and measurements
· To initiate, stimulate, and foster cooperation between the pool of software vendors on the one hand and the antennas and propagation software community at large on the other hand
· To engage with industry for show success stories where electromagnetic modeling plays a significant role in the overall design process of products to make them more efficient
Martijn van Beurden